The history of Cervara di Roma

The birth of Cervara di Roma goes back to the year 883 and is documented from the action of donation, in 21 august 883 a.C., of some lands of the duke Cesario Vestario to the monastery of S.Scolastica. In the same action is mentioned for the first time the "Mons Cervaria", name which had to the deers that grazed near the country. Founded by Benedictine monks in the 8th or 9th century, the small but picturesque hill town, built on a rocky promontory over the Aniene Valley, is dominated by an ancient fort built in the IX century a.C. by the inhabitants of Subiaco to defend themselves from the Saracens.
The fortress, for its inexpugnability, was choice from Pelagio, a schismatic monk, who proclaimed himself Abbot in the 1273 resisting for three years to the attacks of the Papal army.

Cervara di Roma
Ingrandisce foto A view of the town

At the end of the 1700's and beginning of the 1800's Cervara di Roma becomes goal of Italian and foreign artists and writers who were attracted by the beauty of the place and the tradition of locals, mostly shepherds. (Ludwing A. Richter, Welmann, F. Montessuy, Herbert, D. Purificato, Giampistone, Aldo Riso, Ciotti, Kattinis, the german painter Giuseppe Antonio Kock, Bartolomeo Pinelli, Samuel Filley Morse, who invented the telegraph, Gaetano Cottafavi, ecc.).

In 1984 the city administration built the "staircase of the artists": a sculpture in travertine from Tivoli decorates each turn of the steps.
The sculptures were made by students with Florence's Fine Arts Academy under the supervision of sculptor Vincenzo Bianchi, who also helped other students carve mythological figures from a rock face over the town called ''Europe's mountain dedicated to peace in the world''. They are born from the white stone of Cervara, a series of figures symbols of peace and fraternity with poetries and murales that adorn the country. The last work, in time order, is a bas-relief of approximately 20mē in ceramics, realized from Fabio Piscopo and placed in the little central square.

Cervara di Roma
Ingrandisce foto Cervara di Roma

The houses of local families that traditionally give hospitality to visiting artists who dedicate their works to Cervara are also decorated with wall paintings.
All these works rich the historic center of Cervara where the access to the automobiles is impossible and the surrounding panorama is only greens mountains and wide valleys.

The spanish poet Rafael Alberti (1902-1999), who often stayed in the Aniene valley, called Cervara di Roma ''a sculpture dedicated to the sky, which would fly high if just the air could hold it up''. Cervara, embellished from valuable sculptures, is called the Mountain of Europe for the Peace in the world.
In the town there is also an Arts Museum for Peace with paintings and sculptures.


  • The Sacro Speco

    An impressive complex of buildings which almost looks as if it is one with the surrounding rock...

To know more

  • Rocca Pia

    Built on the place where Callisto II Borgia's Castle was situated...

  • Church of St.Peter

    It was built on the rests of a roman villa...

Con il patrocinio del Comune di Tivoli, Assessorato al Turismo

Patrocinio Comune di Tivoli

Assessorato al Turismo