This fountain, named of the Bicchierone (large drinking glass), does not belong to the original plan of the Villa, but was added about a century later. Maybe it was constructed in 1661 according to designs by Gian Lorenzo Bernini.
The cheerful, bold harmony and fine style of the Bicchierone clearly suggest the involvement of the great master, who worked on several projects at the Villa d'Este.
The fountain, with its beatiful architectural lines, representing a fine chalice held up by a giant sea-shell, owes its particular charm to its harmonious and serene water play.
An impressive complex of buildings which almost looks as if it is one with the surrounding rock...
Patrocinio Comune di Tivoli
Assessorato al Turismo