the Gotis of Totila conquered Tivoli in the VI century A.D.
the definitive abandonment of the sanctuary (partly already
decadent) began because of the scarce maintenance which was
too expensive. With time it was forgotten that it was a sacred
building and it was retained by Pirro Ligorio to be the Villa
of August but above all Maecenas's Villa so that the whole
area (including the little falls and the paper mill installed
there) begot the denomination of "Maecenas". The
truth is that neither August, nor Maecenas had ever had a
Villa at Tivoli. It was only in 1848 Nibby re-established
the original denomination but only to the roman ruins found
inside the city.
In 978 the Tecta street ("Via Tecta") is in a document called Dark Door; in the Middle Ages, the complex of Hercules the Victor was shared among religious, private owners and the commune of Tivoli.
In 1227 among the ruins we find the church of S.Maria
del Passo of the Franciscan Monks and adjacent to that
S.Giovanni in Votano of the Clarisses (these were the
owners until 1571).
In the XVI century there is an increase of private owners who enhanced it with embankments, vineyards and gardens.
After some failures by the tenants it was handed over in 1846 to a workmanship with iron under the management of the Roman Society of Mines.
In 1884 the Society of the Hydraulic Strengths bought it for the sake of making money, being that it had already owned the northern part of Tivoli, enriched by the water channels that came from the Aniene.
From that moment the sanctuary
was completely changed and divided in two halves by the Channel
Canevari (1885-86), projected to pick up all the waters of
the channels diverted along the northern part and then conveyed
to the power plant called "Acquoria". On the 26th
of August 1886 Tivoli was the first Italian city to be illuminated
by electric energy. In 1887 the Society of the Hydraulic Strengths
became associates with the Society Anglo-Roman to give electricity
In a second time the paper mill of Maecenas was placed in a part of the building, up until the fifties when the State property retook claim of the whole complex.
An impressive complex of buildings which almost looks as if it is one with the surrounding rock...
Patrocinio Comune di Tivoli
Assessorato al Turismo