The Frascati's Cathedral, Cathedral of St. Peter Apostle, is situated in the homonymous square. It was founded in 1598; The project was committed to Ottaviano Nonni called the Mascherino. After twelve years, on June 29, 1610 the first Mass was celebrated.
The Cathedral has a high fašade made of multicolour stones from 1698-1700 by Architect Gerolamo Fontana. The two bell towers on either side of the facade were constructed later.
The interior is from the 16th century and it has a Greek cross plan. There are a wooden crufix of 11th century from Tusculum, a Madonna - "Mysteries of the Rosary" attributed to Domenichino, a relief by Pompeo Ferrucci (1612) represents Jesus handing over the keys to St. Peter, and a 14th century Madonna with the baby in the Chapel of the Gonfalone, that was retouched by Domenichino. On the interior side of the facade wall there is a bronze "Holy Year Cross" of 1750.
The interior of the cathedral, demolished by the bombing in 1943, appears bare, except for a little chapel off to the right.
On the inner side of the facade there is a funerary white marble monument of Charles Edward Stuart with a memorial tablet. When he died in 1788, his brother, the duke of York and bishop of Frascati, Henry Benedict Stuart, celebrated his solemn funeral here.
The cathedral received many tokens of Henry's episcopal concern, most of these are still visible today. When the body of Charles Stuart was transferred to the Saint Peter's Basilica, his "praecordia", were left here in a small urn encloses the heart of Charles, placed beneath the floor below the funerary monument.
An impressive complex of buildings which almost looks as if it is one with the surrounding rock...
Patrocinio Comune di Tivoli
Assessorato al Turismo